The Beyond Burger®

Welcome to The Beyond! We are a sci-fi/fantasy roleplaying forum. In this world, it's a game of survival; only the fittest will live. Don't worry, we won't bite; we've got an awesome staff team, and equally amazing members. Make sure to read over the rules before you begin rping!

Please register or login!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Beyond Burger®

Welcome to The Beyond! We are a sci-fi/fantasy roleplaying forum. In this world, it's a game of survival; only the fittest will live. Don't worry, we won't bite; we've got an awesome staff team, and equally amazing members. Make sure to read over the rules before you begin rping!

Please register or login!

The Beyond Burger®

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to The Beyond Burger®. Something's out there, just waiting for you to find it. It's either hunt or be hunted out in this dangerous territory, so watch your backs. Join us now, and explore our mysterious depths...

I forgot my password

Quick Links

https://i.imgur.com/ILzmAKy.png

Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI ZYQbJZc

News

-Welcome our newest member, https://thebeyond.rpg-board.net/u254

-Does the site seem a bit empty? Maybe you should check out the site's Discord! Join here!

-With school back in session, many people will be busy. If there are any questions, feel free to message the staff. Have fun rping!

Here you can find new things about the forum, so make sure you check here often!

Latest topics

» Mari Amaterasu
by Mari Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:31 am

» Azalea
by Lexia Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:41 am

» Anti-Gun Orb v1.0
by sLy Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:24 am

» Zara Stein (WIP) CPP Soldier
by Defaox Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:34 am

» Lore: The Joevak Empire (The Commonweath of Phoenix Prime) WIP
by Defaox Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:10 am

» Lore: The Nypherian Empire
by Defaox Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:06 am

» Buying/Selling in the Marketplace
by Aero Dynamic Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:14 am

» Sly's Weapons and items
by sLy Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:22 am

» Sell directly to the marketplace
by sLy Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:30 pm

Top posting users this month

No user

Staff Online

Affiliates

Our Affiliates
The Beyond
The Beyond

Their Affiliates
Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI OoC81
ROA

Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI

Leif
    Leif

Male Posts : 60

Character sheet
    Character Name: Leif
    Species: Human
    Alignment : Chaotic Neutral

Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI Empty Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI

Post by Leif Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:56 pm

In case you’re not caught up from the past two lessons, go here to get started.

Note: I don't know what I did wrong but some of the images are tiny so if you want to see them, right click and select "Open Link in New Tab" (or your web browser's equivalent).  Also I wrote this at one in the morning so forgive me for any image cropping/grammar/spelling errors.

In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to navigate the right third of MagicaVoxel 0.98.  I realize that I’m skipping the middle, but I’ve got a good reason for it that’ll be explained in the next section.

If you’ve closed the program, open it up again.  You’ll be greeted with the same screen as before.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 110

Over on the right third of this screen, you’ll see an “Edit” column and a “File” column.  We’ll be starting with the “Edit” column.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 210

Underneath the word “Edit”, there are two buttons and six dropdown menus.  We’ll be going from top to bottom.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 310

The first two button are undo and redo buttons, respectively.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 410

The first dropdown menu, labeled “Tool”, has six buttons.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 510
    Zero: clears everything
    Fill: recolors the entire model with the currently selected color
    Full: fills everything
    2x: doubles all dimensions
    Inv: inverts the model (empty space becomes filled space and vice-versa)
    Mir: mirrors the model along the center of the model on the yz plane

The second dropdown, “Rot” contains controls to rotate the model along the xy, xz, and yz planes.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 610

The third dropdown, “Flip” does just what it says it does.  It flips the model along the xy, xz, and yz planes.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 710

The next one, “Loop” is a little hard to explain, but it makes sense when you see what it does.  It “loops” the model by pushing or pulling it along the x, y, or z axis.  If you have a voxel at (0, 0, 0) on an 8x8x8 canvas and you click the “-x” button, the cube will loop to the other side of the model at the coordinates (7, 0, 0).  It’s better if you just try it for yourself.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 810

Dropdown number 5, “Shape” is basically a presets list.  Note that if you click on one of these, your current model will be erased.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 910
    Elli: an ellipsoid (a voxelized sphere)
    Cyli: a cylinder
    Pyra: a square pyramid
    Cone: a cone
    Maze: randomly generates a 3d maze on every click.  Very useful for 2d mazes if the canvas has a height of 1
    Perl: makes a randomly generated segment of perlin noise (google it if oyu don’t know)

And finally, dropdown six, “Misc” contains all of the extra features that didn’t fall under any of the previous 5 categories.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 1010
    Shell: deletes all voxels that are unseen (hollows it out)
    I : does the opposite of Shell
    Fract: makes a fractal model (idk I haven’t used this much)
    R: makes every voxel a random color
    Dilat: kinda like the thing in Photoshop if you have some semi transparent pixels and you try to fill it and it gets bigger by one or two pixels
    E: erodes the model

Next, we move on to the “File” column.  This basically acts as a file browser built specifically for your models.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 1110

The “Model” and “Pattern” buttons tell the program how to treat the model that you open.  If you have “Model” selected, the program will treat the model like you are editing it and save over the original.  If you have “Pattern” selected, the program will treat the model like a template and save the model as a separate file.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 1210

The next section, the four boxes above the big empty space, is how your files are saved.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 1310
    Save: saves the current model
    As: saves the model as a separate file and leaves the original alone
    New: makes a new model
    +: duplicates the model (kinda the same as As)

The big empty space will eventually be filled up with your own models as you explore and mess around with this program.  The files cannot be reorganized here, but you can organize them in your default file browser (for Windows it’s the File Explorer, for Mac it’s Finder).  This area is simple and convenient way to open files.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 1410

The next row of buttons is fairly simple to understand.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 1510
    Open: opens a .vox file
    …: imports a model
    trash icon: puts the currently selected model in your computer’s recycling bin/trash.

The last button, which is actually a dropdown, hold all of the different formats that you can export your file in.  I recommend only using things that you know about, and not touching anything else.
    Voxeling (2.2): Navigating the UI 1610
    obj: exports as an obj mesh (intermediate)
    ply: exports as a ply mesh (advanced)
    mc: exports as a marching cube (advanced)
    xraw: exports as an xraw volume (advanced)
    slab: exports as a slab6 vox volume (advanced)
    qb: exports a qb volume (intermediate)
    iso: exports as an isometric pixel sprite (beginner)
    2d: exports as a 2d sprite (beginner)
    bake: bakes the mesh (advanced) (I’ll cover more about this later)

And there it is!  That’s the right third of MagicaVoxel 0.98.  Chapter 2 part 3 will be arriving soon(?)

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:15 am